Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dischordian


Over the past year or so, I've watched quite a few Indian bands live. They've all been mostly pleasant experiences because I've been picky. But what struck me was that my taste in music is all expansive in that I can be interested by most types of music but to hold my attention takes a very specific type of sound. Dischordian, an Indian acoustic outfit that plays quirky alternative, slightly 'punk'ish, folksy music, has come closest to striking a chord (Pun patrol!) with my highly inconsistent taste in music. I guess it's because they have a little bit of everything I need, aurally speaking.

I love that Garreth's voice is a razored stalk of rum tinged throaty heaven; it would have any normal Joe who took a stab at it clutching at severed vocal chords and coughing like a TB patient. But with him, it comes natural. And I love that.

I love the lyrics. Indian bands will probably always have to be slightly anglicized and americanized but as long as the lyrics don't sound contrived, I haven't been a stickler for pronunciation. Dischordian kicks the shit out of that fine line and gives you something raw and amazing and you don't feel like a total tool, singing any of their songs.

Album: Feni Farm Riot

Tracks: 'The Old Whore' and 'Lover' are popular but I'm going to say - 'Scourge of Love', 'One of These Days' and 'Same Old Conversation'.

Be sure to check them out on Facebook; they're quite entertaining, they are! ;)

Okay, that's it from me. Noops is next. She'll have something fun in store!

Shar

2 comments:

lifafa said...

check out petercatrecordingco.com if you like dischordian.

Wickedcookie said...

Thanks for the comment! PCRC is among my top five favourites! :)